Monday, July 30, 2012

My Plasma Donation for a Lyme Research Study

See that yellow canister to the left?
Thats MY PLASMA! Already separated from my blood. 

Thought I would give you an update on things. I recently participated in a Research Study - This company is doing research on patients with Lupus, Hepatitis, other Diseases and ALSO Lyme Disease! I was given a full medical exam, my veins were checked (I have big juicy veins so thankfully it's never been a problem doing blood draws or having my IV antibiotic treatments) and was given the Green Light for the next step - to donate plasma. What an experience. It's sort of like kidney dialysis - you are hooked up to a machine, they take your blood out thru an IV, the machine separates the plasma, and then  your blood is put BACK into you. The only "strange feeling" part was when they put some saline? back into me - it was freezing cold from the inside out. I could have had 10 blankets on top of me but it wouldn't have helped, because I was cold from the inside out! 

Anyway, they also took blood to see if I have an IgM (current) Lyme infection versus an IgG (past exposure). Basically your antibodies will show a positive IgM if they are fighting a current infection. This is what the research scientists want to work with. They also want to look at my plasma and decide whether I'm a viable candidate for the study. I would be compensated for my plasma, so I'll find out in about a week if I "pass" the test.

My very nice tech looking on - she was quite good and I barely
felt the needle going in! That's the sign of a good tech!
I'm including some pictures I had the rep take of me - I know, I look awfully CHIPPER in these photos - but that's just me. I just had a thought - they should use my pictures in their brochures since I look so HAPPY!Maybe it would make people feel less anxious about going thru this process! (smile) Hmmm...I should tell them about this great idea of mine! :)

(Also....Some patients DO report a "Euphoric" feeling when they donate plasma - maybe that's why I'm so "happy" looking! 

Will keep you posted - I DO hope that I'm a viable candidate - this would be a great way to help other Lyme patients if I could participate in this study. 

No comments:

Post a Comment