Monday, June 27, 2011

Daily Magnesium, Calcium and Vitamin D3 supplement that I take


Hi all! If you've been reading my blog, you'll know that I'm really into the Green Smoothie detox diet right now. I have several Green Smoothie shakes per day and at night, I usually eat roasted vegetables. And then every few nights, I'll add some ground turkey meat and make a sort of "Vegetable Hash" with it. It's quite yummy! 


I gained some weight when I went on Neurontin last year for severe nerve pain in my arms and legs and have been fighting to get the weight off ever since!


Pretty tough when you can't just go out and exercise like most people! So I've had to be pretty restrictive on this "eating plan" but the weight IS coming off and my digestive system has never been happier! I started this in February as a 3 week detox diet, but was so pleased with how my stomach felt, (after months of being on antibiotics, anti-parasitic drugs, neuropathy meds, etc.) that I sort of modified it to stay on it until I lose all the unwanted pounds. 


So recently in a Lyme forum, we were talking about Magnesium and one person commented that it was good for Migraines. I suddenly realized that I hadn't had a Migraine in MONTHS (knock on wood, quickly!) and thought about the fact that I'd been using a liquid Magnesium supplement in my Green Drinks every day since February. Hmmm - could be a connection - who knows? I used to get BAD migraines like clockwork - every single month and it's now been 4 months with NO migraine. Someone asked me what I used and I wrote the following in my post:

******************************

Hi XXXXXX! I'm happy to help. I used to use a brand from Henry's which was really good, but just got too expensive with all the other tons of supplements, 50$ probiotics every month, RX's, etc. - I'm sure you know what it's like! Anyway, I found this brand at Costco of all places: It's called "Liquid Reviva" High Absorption Calcium Citrate.

It's 1000 mg Calcium with Vitamin D3 and Magnesium. It comes in different flavors (mine is "Smooth Blueberry" and it's great if you use it in green smoothies like I do. It also says you can add it to yogurt, oatmeal, milk, protein shakes, etc.

It has 400 mg of Magnesium which is 100% of the daily recommended value.

Calcium is 100% and Vitamin D3 is 250%. It's only 2 tbsp a day too! The cost is only $11.99 at Costco and it lasts me a month or so I think? Pretty good value! They also make a Liquid Reviva "High Potency MultiVitamin with 500 mg Vitamin C, 800 IU Vitamin D3, Super Fruits, Antioxidants and over 50 Nutrients. And it's Sugar Free! Tropical Burst is the flavor I get. Again, I get it at Costco and I think it's $11.99 too? Not positive on that one - might be a little more.

Hope that helps! I think I'm going to update that on my blog - thanks for bringing that up! Hope you're having a good evening!


*********************

Soon I'll post another updated list of everything I put into my Magical Green Smoothies - they truly are TASTY (who knew?!) and I put a TON of fresh organic green veggies in each day in addition to all the supplements I USED to take in pill form. Honestly, I've cut down taking about 20 pills per day by getting them in liquid or capsule form (which I cut open and add them in the blender) and that is a HUGE plus!

One final thing. Lots of people ask me what type of blender I have. Well, as much as I would LOVE to have the Vitamix or Blendtec (one day when I have the money!) I am using the same Osterizer Blender that I've owned for over 10 years and probably cost me $30 or so.

It crushes frozen fruit, ice, EVERYTHING (again, knock on wood! ha ha!) and has done JUST fine! Just don't forget to take out things like metal teaspoons when you run the blender - they don't seem to like that!

Best of Health to everyone!

-B

2 comments:

  1. This is very interesting information about health supplement. Thanks for sharing. I take a angstrom calcium supplement for balance issues. It really helps good.calcium magnesium

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johan - Thanks for your comments and glad this info was useful! One thing that I learned several months after I was doing my green smoothies was that you should NEVER mix Calcium and Multi-Vitamins together!
    They can cancel each other out which is why I now take them at least a few hours apart now. Believe it or not, I first learned about that on Dr. OZ's TV show and then read some articles about it! This is why when you see a Multi-Vitamin - you always see VERY small amounts of Calcium. You should also avoid taking Calcium enriched Orange Juice with Multi-Vitamins and certain prescription meds because of this same reason.

    You should also avoid taking Calcium with certain medications - which is why I take it right before I go to bed at night (along with my Magnesium) - Calcium AND Magnesium can both have a calming effect that can help with sleep issues! Take care and be WELL!
    -Sandie

    ReplyDelete