Sunday, April 17, 2011

Green Smoothies!

So for the last several months I have been drinking Green Smoothies pretty much on a daily basis now. I developed these really weird food aversions after I got sick with Lyme and stopped eating raw veggies and salads. And I used to LOVE salads! I also couldn't eat cheese anymore which I used LOVE also! I don't know - so weird. Anyway, I was trying to lose a few pounds that one of my medications had caused me to gain (a WHOLE other story there!) and someone on one of the Lyme forums said his wife went on the Martha's Vineyard 21 Day Detox Diet.

I looked into it, and was really intrigued. Here was a really healthy diet and I figured I could pull it off. So I did it, and lost 15 pounds within 4 weeks. Hurray! Basically it was green smoothies all day and then veggie soups at night. You can be really creative too which helps you stick to this diet. (For more info you can visit their site: http://mvdietdetox.com) I also bought their book which really comes in handy and goes into a lot greater detail than their website.

After that, I continued drinking the green smoothies just because it was such a great way to get all your green veggies and fruits in a very EASY way! Now, I will say that in the beginning, I really turned my nose up at the thought of drinking something GREEN! Ick! i thought! Well, I began very slowly - at first I put lots of fruits and natural fruit juices in to make the flavor more sweet and then SLOWLY over time, I reduced the amount of fruit and increased the green veggies. I'm so proud of myself! ha ha!

(This is NOT my blender BTW!)
So just as an example, today's Green Smoothie was the following:
Handful of Spinach Leaves
Handful of Rainbow Chard
Small amount of Parsley
1 Avocado (gives it a really creamy texture that I like!)
A handful of fresh shredded coconut
1 chopped up fresh apple
Aloe Vera Juice
2 oz of Acai Juice
2 oz of my Blueberry flavored Calcium formula
1 Tbspn of my Multi Vitamin Formula (liquid form)
And then finally ICE! Lots of ICE!

Now I don't have a fancy blender (I'd LOVE to have the Blend Tec or Vita-Mix someday!) but until then, a regular blender works just fine. I usually add Digestive Enzymes to my Smoothies as well as any other supplements I'm taking that come in capsule form. (Oh, and sometimes if I have a banana on hand, I'll throw that in too - or use that instead of an avocado - both of them will give your Smoothie a creamier texture)

So Voila! The above ingredients made enough for 3 glasses of Green Smoothies that I drank throughout the day and are delicious! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment